Friday, August 17, 2007

It's here... Yay!


Gabor, the Hungarian IT guy here in the Cartoon Saloon Skyped my in his Hungarian IT guy way to tell me that An Post had delivered a box! My Canon HV20.

The first thing that hit me was the size. It's teenie... so cute!

The HV20 records 1080i HDV. It has a 3.1 MP still camera and a 1920x1080 CMOS sensor. The manual controls are a little hard to get used to, especially after been using full size cameras, HVX200s, DVX100s, and my XH-A1. The menu button, the all-in-one joystick/button for exposure, audio levels and shutter is right next to Menu button which is right next to the Record button... all a little too close for my awkward thumbs.

I shot a little footage around the house, got Daw making coffee and some exterior stuff, captured it into FCP and it looked deadly! Some of the settings I tried resulted in quite grainy footage, but it was dark enough on our landing of no-lightbulbs (!) so that's to be expected.

One thing I noticed was that Final Cut took longer to capture from the HV20 than it does from the XH-A1. Why? I-oun-o!

I have a shoot next week and I'm using both the XH-A1 and the HV20 so I'll post my comments on how the two compare then.

No comments: